Ten Forward

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Kevin Smith  (Read 309 times)

Deafula

• View Profile
Kevin Smith
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »

Okay, so I just read a review of Kevin Smith's new movie and it sounds like a thousand dogs shitting on a thousand pre-existing pieces of dog shit. But in all honesty, what do you think his appeal is?

I chalk it up to the nerd fantasy, i.e. he writes nerds like they're witty bastards and he writes women like they're secretly just male nerds underneath it all. I tend to find that his fans defend him by essentially buying into his faux intellectualism ("DOGMA's actually a really deep movie..."), but deep down inside they wouldn't like if Lars Von Trier delivered those same messages about religion and relationships, they like it because the nerds got the hot girl at the end.

Incidentally, I think his best film, RED STATE, is pretty watchable and it's mainly because all that nerd hero bullshit is actually put aside for once. It actually feels like a first film, which is a bit of a knock I guess but it's also a little refreshing because it didn't deliver what I expected.

Gunslinger

• Now it's dark.
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Smith
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »

Aside for him being the first well-known independent film maker of our generation, I don't see the appeal either. He's an entertaining speaker sometimes, but is generally thought of as a pandering sellout, at least in the comic industry. I tried watching 'Clerks' again recently and man, was it terrible.

Crowtista

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Smith
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »

I didn't see Red State specifically because I thought it was fatty doing politics again. I don't know what his appeal is. It's a mystery, just like why people like Big Bang Theory. I guess it's one of those things that separates nerds from dorks. Nerds like Star Trek, dorks like Kevin Smith.