Ten Forward

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Best Comic Book Covers of January 2016  (Read 308 times)

Crowtista

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Best Comic Book Covers of January 2016
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »

Browsing through new comic books is one of my favorite things to do. However now that comics are relegated to tiny stores in sparse mini-malls it's not easy to do anymore. I don't have any comic books stores where I live or where I work, so I thought I would start looking at all the cover art online. Once in a while I will post the best of the best. It will usually be around five, but not always. I will also post the worst comic book cover of the month and the best new toy release.

For January 2016...

Cry Havok #1
Cameron Stewart is one of my favorite artists. He knows how to paint, how to draw girls, and excells at graphic design. All of those talents are evident in this cover for the new werewolf tale Havok from Image.

Captain America - Marvel Cinematic Guidebook #11 by Mike Del Mundo.

I love homages and this one by Reilly Brown needs no introduction. This was only one of around 50 covers from Marvel that featured Deadpool this month.

Another great homage of a Norman Rockwell classic by Isaac Goodhart.

I just thought that this painting by Mark Brooks was beautiful and would make a great poster.

A simple but dramatic cover for Terminal Hero.

The best cover of January is...
Alex Ross of course. If there is a new piece of Ross art it will always be tough to beat.

And now for The Worst...

Pass!

Why does Rob Liefeld still get work? WHY?????

Worst cover of the month goes to Bruno Olivero's Bigfoot. Not a great composition or camera angle for obvious reasons.

Best Toy goes to this Jason Todd Red Hood figure by Kotobukiya's ARTFX+. I still hate that they brought him back, but I can't deny that this toy is a great sculpt.

Worst toy goes to Brad from Rocky Horror Picture Show. ;)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:05:16 PM by Crowtista »

Gunslinger

• Administrator
  • Now it's dark.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Comic Books Covers of January 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

That Liefield cover is terrible. It almost borders on self parody, what with the terrible proportions and leg pouches.

Deafula

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 09:24:12 AM »

I still know people who love Liefield. Even as a kid I used to think he was like a Todd McFarlane who had never seen a human body before and was trying to draw one from other people's descriptions. I'll never forget a New Mutants he did where Colossus's sister (whatever her name was) had her knee bent backwards, huge quads, a midsection that Olive Oil would find disturbing, and additional forearm muscles. I would just stare at it wondering how it possibly made it into a comic book.

Also, this:

Gunslinger

• Administrator
  • Now it's dark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »

I used to draw like Rob Liefield in high school. luckily I grew out of it.

Maybe he was just really fast and charismatic? Or the devil. He sold his sol to the devil for a magic ink pen.